At the First Coast YMCA, safety is our number one priority. We believe it is our social responsibility to do everything we can to keep our members, participants, volunteers and staff healthy and slow the spread of the coronavirus in our community.
UPDATE – 7.30.21 With the recent surge of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations on the First Coast, we are now requiring that everyone ages 2 and older wear a mask indoors at the Y. This change in our policy follows newly-released guidance from the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Based on CDC guidance for high-intensity exercise, wearing a mask while in a group exercise class, using strength and cardio equipment, stretching and swimming is optional if you maintain social distance at all times.
As our policies continue to evolve, we will share any potential policy updates as quickly as it is safe and practical to do so. We appreciate everyone’s understanding and support to help us all stay healthy together!
What to Expect at the Y
- Please stay home if you are sick or have been in close contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Members, participants, guests and volunteers must wear a mask to check-in, in the lobby, when dropping off or picking up children at KidZone or other youth programs, waiting for a class to begin, in the locker rooms and any other common areas of the facility.
- Wearing a mask while in a group exercise class, using strength and cardio equipment, stretching and swimming is optional only if social distance is maintained at all times.
- All employees, except Rescue Ready Lifeguards, Group Ex instructors teaching a class or child care staff leading outdoor activities, must wear a mask at all times during their shift.
Please continue to practice social distancing at all times. We are facilitating safe social distancing in our branches by:
- Reducing capacity in classes and KidZone
- Requiring reservations for classes, swim time and KidZone
- Spacing equipment 6 feet apart
- Members should also sanitize hands before and after a workout and wipe down equipment with provided disinfectant wipes before and after use.
- The Y will continue stringent cleaning and disinfecting protocols throughout all areas of Y facilities and program sites.
- We have also invested in an additional safety barrier at our branches to help stop the spread of COVID-19. The illustration below shows how this innovative UV technology works in our heating, ventilation and air conditioning system to reduce airborne viruses and bacteria.